Sunday, December 8, 2013
Here's What We're Covering This Week
What We’re Covering This Week......
This week begins with a crucial meeting of trade ministers from the 12 TransPacific Partnership countries, who are racing to meet the goal of largely completing the trade pact by the end of this year.
● On Monday, TPP trade ministers continue their meeting, which began over the weekend. The meeting is expected to conclude Tuesday.
● Tuesday, the House Foreign Affairs Committee hears from Secretary of State Kerry about the status of nuclear talks with Iran. Expects lots of questions about whether US sanctions should be tightened.
● The Atlantic Council sponsors a program on the other big trade negotiation taking place – the TransAtlantic Trade and Investment Partnership. Sen. Christopher Murphy speaks.
● Also on Tuesday, the Commerce Department’s Regulations and Procedures Technical Advisory Committee meets.
● The American Enterprise Institute sponsors a discussion on Congress’ role in trade and the TransPacific Partnership with speakers including Sen. Jeff Flake.
● Wednesday, the Washington International Trade Association sponsors a program on global supply chains and social responsibility. Acting Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for Business and Economic Affairs Robert Manogue is among the speakers.
● The Senate Finance subcommittee on international trade, customs and global competitiveness holds a hearing on the digital trade agenda.
● Also Wednesday, the East West Center sponsors a program on the US-Korea relationship with speakers including Reps. David Reichert and Mike Honda.
● Deputy US Trade Representative Miriam Sapiro discusses TTIP at a forum sponsored by the Foreign Policy Group.
● On Thursday, the Practising Law Institute holds its annual export controls seminar.
● The Senate Banking Committee holds a hearing on the nuclear agreement with Iran, with a panel of Administration officials.
● The Center for Strategic and International Studies sponsors a program on Korea’s recently-stated interest in joining the TPP, with Korean Ambassador Ahn Ho-Young and Acting Deputy USTR Wendy Cutler.
● Friday, the President’s Export Council subcommittee on export administration holds an open meeting by teleconference.
● US and European Union farm policy is the subject of a discussion sponsored by the Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies. EU agriculture official Tassos Haniotis and Agriculture Chief Economist Joe Glauber speak.
See you there!