Congress is back and now in the early stages of looking at legislation introduced last week to give President Obama Trade Promotion Authority.
Here are some of the events we’ll be following:
● On Monday, Women in International Trade sponsors an off-the-record program on TPA with House Ways and Means Chief Trade Counsel Angela Ellard.
● The Hudson Institute sponsors a program on US-Taiwan economic relations with speakers including William Liu of the Taipei Economic and Cultural Representative Office.
● Japanese Minister for Regulatory Reform Tomomi Inada speaks at the Peterson Institute for International Economics.
● On Tuesday, Spanish President Mariano Rajoy addresses the US Chamber of Commerce, where he is expected to discuss the TransAtlantic Trade and Investment Partnership among other issues.
● The Heritage Foundation releases its 2014 Index of Economic Freedom. Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky) kicks off the discussion.
● Wednesday, the House Foreign Affairs subcommittee on the Western Hemisphere holds a hearing on the North American Free Trade Agreement, which turns 20 this year.
● Also on the Hill, the Congressional-Executive Commission on China holds a hearing to examine China’s compliance with the World Trade Organization and other international agreements.
● The Senate Finance Committee holds a hearing on the nomination of R. Gil Kerlikowske to be the next Customs Commissioner.
● Also Wednesday, the Center for Strategic and International Studies sponsors a program on digital trade.
● On Thursday, the Senate Finance Committee officially kicks off Congressional debate on whether the President should have Trade Promotion Authority, holding the first hearing on the bill introduced last week by Chairman Max Baucus, ranking Republican Orrin Hatch (Utah) and House Ways and Means Chairman Dave Camp (R-Mich).
● The US Chamber of Commerce hosts Canadian Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird.
● Women in International Trade sponsors a program on South Africa’s trade relations with the United States and European Union.
See you there!